National Engineering Research Center of Industrial Crystallization Technology, School of Chemical Engineering and Technology, Tianjin University, Tianjin, CHINA.
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering (With Prof. Qiuxiang Yin and Prof. Yongli Wang).
School of Pharmacy, Nanjing University of Technology, Nanjing, CHINA.
Received B.S. in Pharmacy, June 2011 (With Prof. Fang Zheng).
Professor (tenure-track), State Key Laboratory of Elemento-organic Chemistry, Nankai University, Tianjin, CHINA.
Postdoctoral associate, Department of Chemistry, New York University, U.S.A. (With Prof. Michael Ward and Prof. Bart Kahr).
(1) Crystal Engineering (Solid State Chemistry) of Agrochemicals.
(2) Interaction between Agrochemical Crystals and Organisms.
(3) Advanced Formulation of Crystalline Pesticides.
HONORS AND AWARDS
2021 Nankai University Hundred Young Academic Leaders Program
2018 Best Poster Award at the 2018 Crystal Engineering Gordon Research Conference
2015 Excellent Student Award of Tianjin University
2015 The BaoShun Scholarship
Research Summary: My research interests focus on the interactions between agrochemicals crystals and target organisms, involving the crystal engineering of agrochemicals, crystallization of agrochemicals in complex environments, mass transfer between crystal and organism interface, and the relationship between solid-state chemistry and solution chemistry. By improving understanding of the interface between crystallography and biology, we aim to develop advanced formulations of crystalline pesticides to provide more efficient protection for plants while minimizing environmental impact.
Many of my works were highlighted in The New York Times, The U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF), Chemical & Engineering News (ACS), EurekAlert! (AAAS), Chemistry World (RSC), phys.org, NYU News, ScienceDaily. During the past five years, I had 21 papers published in Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., Angew. Chem., J. Am. Chem. Soc., Cryst. Growth Des., etc., based on which, I have applied for three U.S. patents. Selected publications were listed as follows.
1. J. Yang, C. T. Hu, E. Reiter, B. Kahr*. Ambient L-lactic acid crystal polymorphism. CrystEngComm, 2021, 23, 2644.
2. J. Yang, B. Erriah, C. T. Hu, E. Reiter, X. Zhu, V. López-Mejías, I. P. Carmona-Sepúlveda, M. D. Ward*, B. Kahr*. A Deltamethrin Crystal Polymorph for Better Malaria Control. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2020, 117, 26633.
**Highlighted in Chemical & Engineering News (ACS), EurekAlert!(AAAS), Chemistry World (RSC), phys.org, NYU News, ScienceDaily.
3. H.Ye*, H. Li, C. Wang, J. Yang*, G. Huang, X. Meng, Q. Zhou*. Degradable polyester/urea inclusion complex applied as a facile and environment-friendly strategy for slow-release fertilizer: performance and mechanism. Chem. Eng. J. 2020, 381, 122704.
4. J. Yang, X. Zhu, C. T. Hu, M. Qiu, Q. Zhu, M. D. Ward*, B. Kahr*. Inverse Correlation between Lethality and Thermodynamic Stability of Contact Insecticide Polymorphs. Cryst. Growth Des. 2019, 19, 1839.
5. J. Yang, C. T. Hu, Qiuxiang Yin*, B. Kahr*. L-Malic Acid Crystallization: Polymorphism, Semi-Spherulites, Twisting, and Polarity. CrystEngComm, 2018, 20,1383.
6. J. Yang, C. T. Hu, X. Zhu, Q Zhu, M.D. Ward*, and B. Kahr*. DDT Polymorphism and the Lethality of Crystal Forms. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 10165.
**Highlighted in The New York Times(纽约时报), The U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF), Chemical & Engineering News (ACS), EurekAlert!(AAAS), Chemistry World (RSC), phys.org, NYU News, ScienceDaily, The Science Times, ChemistryViews, Medicalnewser.
7. J. Yang, M.D. Ward*, and B. Kahr*. Abuse of Rachel Carson and Misuse of DDT Science in the Service of Environmental Deregulation. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 10026.
8. J. Yang, Y. Wang*, H. Hao*, C. Xie, Y. Bao, Q. Yin, J. Gong, C. Jiang, B. Hou, Z. Wang. Spherulitic Crystallization of L-Tryptophan: Characterization, Growth Kinetics, and Mechanism. Cryst. Growth Des. 2015, 15, 5124.
9. X. Zhu, C. T. Hu, J. Yang, L.A. Joyce, M. Qiu, M. D. Ward*, B. Kahr*. Manipulating Solid Forms of Contact Insecticides for Infectious Disease Prevention. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 141, 16858.
1. J. Yang, X. Zhu, M. D. Ward, B. Kahr. Crystalline Forms of Deltamethrin and Methods of Use Thereof. (US patent, 17/032,254).
2. X. Zhu, J. Yang, M. D. Ward, B. Kahr. Pesticidal Compounds and Methods of Use. (US patent, 17/033,317).
3. X. Zhu, J. Yang, M. D. Ward, B. Kahr. Crystalline Forms of Imidacloprid and Methods of Use Thereof. (US patent, 63/124,500).
4. Y. Wang, J. Yang, H. Hao, B. Hou, Y. Bao, C. Xie, J. Wang, Q. Yin, J. Gong, M. Zhang. Crystallizing Method for Preparing High-purity 4-bromomethyl-2-cyanobiphenyl (ZL20131 0658495.2)